As I turn another year older I reflect on lessons that I’ve learned and wanted to share.
1) You don’t have to have life figured out at any particular age. The life where we know exactly what we want to do and be, the one were perfectly settled in and we know it all, doesn’t exist. No one has it figured out. We’re all doing the best we can whether were 15 or 90, and that’s plenty good enough.
2) It doesn’t matter what other people think about you. You’re the one that lives with your decisions, good or bad, and they are yours alone. The people who love you will be there for you, regardless. And that’s the people you want in your life. No approval needed.
3) There is enough in the world for everyone. Getting caught up in jealousy or competition no matter the reason is a waste of time and precious energy. When something great happens for someone be genuinely happy for them. By sharing in their joy and happiness you truly get happier. The more love, gratitude, kindness and happiness you show others the more it will be returned, abundantly. Always choose love!
4) It is okay to feel any emotion, any time. Give yourself permission to feel. It doesn’t make you stronger to hold it all in or weaker to let it all go.
5) Love One Another. Relationships are truly the only thing that matter in life. Treasure those you love, spend time with them, make memories with them, laugh uncontrollably with them, cry with them, share stories with them and hug them every time like you may never see them again. Memories will be all you have one day.
6) Letting go of things or people doesn’t mean you love them less. It just means you’re moving on. No more. No less. Appreciate the time or learn from the experience. Grow.
7) Regrets are a waste of time. If you didn’t try you would have never known. You did the best you could at the time and that’s good enough. Let it go.
8) It is okay to ask for help and support. It doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means we are all human and that’s why God didn’t just make one person. He knew we would need one another. You don’t have to do it alone. There are people you can depend on and people that love you. Set your ego aside and simply ask.
9) Control is an illusion. Trying to force relationships, people or things to keep them in your life becomes messy and exhausting. Let go of what you need to, whether that’s relationships, a bad attitude or things you’ve shoved in the closet. Creating space and getting rid of the negative, opens space for the positive. The right people and things that will nourish and fulfill you will start gravitating to you when you release control. See no. 6.
10) No expectations for yourself or others. Nobody’s perfect. We have to believe in ourselves and in others that we are all trying to do our best. Cut each other some slack. Life happens, the good the bad, and everything in between. The less you resist and the more you try to ebb and flow with life instead of fighting it or getting angry with it, the happier you will be. Practice.
Here is where you can contact me and find more yoga info. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Be-PresentYoga/336705043142303 and on twitter:@bepresent100